719-676-3131 | RyeTelephone.com
What is the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is a limited $3.2 billion federal initiative to help lower
the cost of high-speed internet for eligible households during the on-going COVID-19 pandemic.
The EBB Program was created by Congress in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 and is
overseen by the FCC and administered by the Universal Service Administration Company.
What Is the Benefit?
• Up to $50/month discount for broadband services;
• Up to $75/month discount for broadband services for households on Tribal lands; and a onetime discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet purchased through a participating
• The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device
discount per eligible household.
How Long Does the Benefit Last?
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is temporary in nature, and the benefits are limited by the
federal funding available. It is not known how long the benefit will last, but industry experts anticipate it
could last only a few months if there is widespread participation in the program. Upon receiving notification
from the program administrator that the fund is nearing depletion, Rye Telephone Company will notify all
participating customers that the benefit will terminate. Upon termination of the benefit, the participating
household will be subject to Rye Telephone Company’s undiscounted rates if they continue to receive
Who Is Eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit?
A household is eligible if one member of the household:
• Qualifies for the federal Lifeline program, including those who are on Medicaid or receive SNAP
• Receives benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school
breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, or did so in the 2019-
2020 school year;
• Experienced a substantial loss of income since February 29, 2020, and the household had a
total income in 2020 below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers;
• Received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year; or
• Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19
Can Eligible Households Sign Up?
• Eligible households can sign up for the Emergency Broadband Benefit with Rye Telephone
Company once the program officially begins, which is estimated to be on or around May 1, 2021.
How Will Eligible Households Sign Up?
• Step 1: Interested households must establish their eligibility using the National Verifier. Please
visit CheckLifeline.org from any computer or mobile device to complete the electronic application.
• Step 2: Once the electronic application has been successfully completed, eligible households
must enroll with Rye Telephone Company by completing Emergency Broadband Benefit Opt-In
Paperwork, available upon request. To request opt-in paperwork, please contact Rye Telephone
Company’s business office in Colorado City at 719-676-3131.
What Broadband Services Are Available with the Emergency Broadband Benefit?
• Rye Telephone Company’s customer service representatives must perform an address lookup
for your specific address to determine what broadband service options are available to your premises.
All services are subject to availability.
Do I Have to Receive My Benefit from Rye Telephone Company?
Eligible households may obtain broadband service supported by the EBB Program from any
participating provider, and a participating household may transfer their EBB Program benefit to
another provider at any time without experiencing early termination penalties.
What Else Do I Need to Know?
The EBB Program benefit is separate from any existing Lifeline benefits and is subject to verification
of the customer using the discounted broadband service. If you are unsure whether you may qualify
for the EBB Program or would like more information, you can visit fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit, or
contact our business office in Colorado City at 719-676-3131. We also encourage you to follow us
on social media for EBB Program announcements. You may follow our Facebook newsfeed